Wednesday 5 February 2014

You're killing me, man...

Phillip Seymour Hoffman... What an utter shame... I am such a huge fan!! I was just about to write "was" but the fact that he passed does not make me not like him anymore. I have loved him ever since I first saw him in The Talented Mr.Ripley. Obviously, not his first film. But that is the first time I saw him. An awkward-looking blond guy, who dies so unceremoniously. So like life, it turned out...


Then came Flawless. And I was hooked. How could I not be? Doubt. Captivating, mesmerising, unforgettable. Capote.  The winner. Because he deserved nothing less. And it was not just the dramatic roles. In Along Came Polly he was hilarious. And my personal favourite, Mary & Max. A clay-animated film, where he lent his voice to Max, delivering such a touching and heartwarming performance that made your eyes well-up. The list is long. Many films, many parts and all worth watching just because he was that good.

He was not about the appearance. The machismo. The action-packed roles. The picture-perfect looks... He was simple and natural. Your every day Joe. He was OTT and extravagant. He was disturbing and menacing. Sad. Happy. And oh so tormented... But above all, he was all about the acting. The performance. And what a performance it was. And how soon did the credits roll.

His talent was immense. His work beautiful. His future, in our eyes, was bright. And the legacy he leaves behind should be untainted. He was one of the greats and one of my favourites. And he will be sorely missed....

No comments:

Post a Comment